Love hazelnuts? So do we. That's why we wanted to share this fantastic recipe for home made hazelnut ice cream. We couldn't get enough of this stuff at Nutty HQ. Some of us preferred it with a cacao crunch topping, while others liked a more decadent affogato (a scoop of ice cream dolloped into a hot cup of coffee) variation. Regardless of how you eat this, we guarantee it will taste amazing.
300ml whipping cream
80g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/180º Fan/Gas Mark 6.
- Roast the hazelnuts on a baking tray for 7-8 minutes, make sure you check on them as they can easily burn!
- Take the hazelnuts out of the oven and once they have cooled down peel as much of the brown skin off, then put them in a food processor and grind them until fine. Leave them aside for later.
- Get two bowls and separate the egg yolk from the whites.
- In another bowl whip the cream until thick.
- Add the sugar to the bowl with the egg yolks and whisk until it has a thick consistency. Fold in the hazelnuts and all of the whipped cream.
- Beat the egg whites with a whisk until stiff. Use a spatula to fold in the egg whites with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the mixture in a loaf tin or any freezer safe container and put it in the freezer. Once it’s frozen it’s ready to serve!